High Seas and Fallen Stars
- A strait at the northeast edge of the Bowl running from the Bowl to Alphar Isle and beyond
- Lies along the lines of the prevailing winds, allowing swift travel from the Bowl to Alphar Isle.
- In the other direction, however, travel is extremely slow, requiring tacking back and forth across the strait in order to make headway.
- Disputes between captains are often settled by a race from Mirg Isle, across the Bowl and up the Windrace to Alphar harbor, with the winner gaining victory in the challenge.
- It is said that just such a challenge cost King Verovan of Westgate his entire fortune when he accepted a challenge from a crafty Red Wizard of Thay to a race from Alphar harbor around Mirg Isle and back again.
- Verovan was betrayed by the Red Wizard whom had tricked Verovan’s oarmaster the previous day into exchanging his whip for one braided with “Phoenix feathers”.
- The day of the race however, as Verovan’s oarsmen slowly turned to stone until it was realized that the whip was braided with cockatrice feathers instead.