High Seas and Fallen Stars
- Three colonies (conclaves) of halflings, known as the Kelthanni stubbornly reside on Kelthan.
- The Kelthanni live in three colonies on the high points in middle of the Kelthann in stoutly built, and strongly defended stone villages.
- Each Kelthanni village consists of a series of rough, unworked (but surprisingly sturdy looking) stone houses which are protected by high dikes and stone walls.
- The Kelthanni are a taciturn and generally unfriendly people.
- The Kelthanni are followers of Grumbar, “The Earthlord”. and believe that it is because of Umberlee and Grumbar’s bitter rivalry that she brings vicious storms every winter in order to wash the island from the sea.
- The Kelthanni believe that their worship of Grumbar opposes her and keeps Kelthan from sinking into the sea.
- Tolerate the smugglers because their activities are in general irrelevant to the Kelthanni way of life, in addition, the smugglers bring trade.
- The Kelthanni allow the smugglers use of their natural harbors for as long as:
– The smugglers do not maintain any sites of worship to Umberlee of any other god of the sea.
– Offerings of Earth’s Bounty (gold, silver, gems, etc) are made to the Elder of each village.
– No dead are buried at sea in the harbors or waters around Kelthan.
– The dead are to be given to the Kelthanni for burial in the earth such that they do not rise again from the sea as servants of Umberlee.